Don’t Forget Your Administrative Professional In 1952, the International Association of Administrative Professionals (IAAP) started honoring office workers by sponsoring Administrative Professionals Week. Now, Administrative Professionals week is one of the largest workplace observances outside of employee birthdays and other major holidays. This is truly the time to thank those tireless administrative professionals who keep our offices running like clockwork and make our jobs easier.
In 2000, the International Association of Administrative Professionals changed the name for what was then called Professional Secretaries Week and Professional Secretaries Day to what we now know as Administrative Professionals Week and Administrative Professionals Day. This was done to keep up with the changing job titles and added responsibilities that are now taken on by a modern day Admin Professionals.
According to the U.S. Department of Labor statistics, there are over 4.1 million secretaries and admin assistants working in the United States. There are over 8.9 million working in other administrative support roles. Canada employees over 475, 000 admin professionals and millions are working in offices worldwide.
This year, Administrative Professionals Week is April 18-24 and Administrative Professionals Day is Wednesday, April 21.
This year, you might consider a versatile gift that will remind your admin professional how much you value them for long after this special week. Here are some ideas to help you with giving the perfect gift this year.
- Coffee Mug filed with delectable goodies such as chocolate, coffee, tea, cocoa, or other snacks. Wrapped in beautiful professional cello for sale with a festive bow, this simple gift will certainly get your administrative professional’s attention. The coffee mug can be used over and over, which reminds your admin how important they are day after day. Gifts such as these run $15-$25 on average. This makes it affordable for the whole office.
- A pen and pencil holder or tray for their desk can be filled with tasty treats that are sure to put a smile on their face.
- Lunch Tote gift baskets are the gifts that keep on giving. Have it filled with “tear & share” items like caramel corn, cheese straws, truffles and other delicious snacks that can be shared by all. Tote gift baskets are a little more expensive, but how valuable are your admin professionals? It’s a small price to pay for those who do so much for us.
- A popcorn bucket makes a really cool and fun gift for your admin. You can put their favorite DVD in the popcorn basket along with some other movie snacks. Not sure what your admin’s favorite movie is? Then get them some movie tickets or a gift certificate to Blockbuster.
- Finally, any basket, music box, crate, or other unique container can be a perfect gift basket. Large or small, a creative gift professional can make it into the perfect admin gift.
So, there are five ideas on how you can show your appreciation for all that your admins do for you. Don’t delay or wait until the last minute. Think ahead and order now so you can be sure to get the perfect gift this year. A regular old store bought gift just won’t due these days. You need to stand out really show your appreciation with something unique, new and original. To all the Admin Professionals out there reading this story, send the link to your boss. They will get the hint! Happy Administrative Professionals Day!